When it comes to air conditioning in hot summers,, there is an array of options available. Homeowners today are spoilt for choice, which was not the case a few decades ago. Consider electric air handlers and ducted air conditioning systems. The differences, along with pros and cons, are below.
Introducing electric air handlers
Electric air handlers are responsible for moving air to provide your desired temperature. These are part of your HVAC system and provide both heating and cooling. Air handlers are alternatively known as air handling units (AHU). An AHU, at its core, consists of a fan, coils, and a filter. More sophisticated models have other features. An AHU is suitable for commercial and residential properties, and an HVAC company liked GPH can advise you on the many different features and sizes.
There are four primary types of electric air handlers, from fan/blower coil models, Packaged AHUs, Modular AHUs, and Custom AHUs. The blower coil is the most basic, with the custom AHU beings the most advanced.
- Electric air handlers are less complex than dedicated air conditioners, and therefore, cost less.
- They can be placed anywhere and cause minimal disruption or discomfort to the remaining space.
- While routine service are expected, electric air handlers rarely malfunction.
- The heating or cooling process is much slower than air conditioners.
- Not suitable for installing in very large homes or offices.
Introducing ducted air conditioners
Ducted air conditioners, as the name suggests, offer cooling or heating using a system of ducts. The anatomy of ducted air conditioners comprises a central unit, a condenser, a compressor, and an air handling unit. Ducted air conditioning systems are offered either as split central air conditioners or packaged central air conditioners.
- Vents in the floor deliver the cool air or heat. They are the most elegant solution for a room when it comes to aesthetic appeal.
- Ducted air conditioning gets rid of humidity much faster than air handlers.
- They can be sized for ventilating larger homes or commercial properties.
- Installation of the ductwork can be expensive if the commercial or residential space does not have pre-installed ducting.
- Ducted systems may lose some of their efficiency if there are leaks in the ducts.
- Maintenance is more costly as regular duct cleaning is advised.
For over ten years, G.P.H Mechanical has been advising customers on air conditioning solutions. We welcome both residential and commercial inquiries in the Okanagan. Give us a call to discuss how to stay cool this summer!